Painting is something that almost everyone has seen done at some point in their lives. Have you ever wondered how most multi-family residences keep their paint jobs looking so good, or why the White House is always white? Commercial painting services are the answer.
These professional painters have received extensive training in order to provide the best, most qualified painting for commercial property. This article discusses the commercial painting job responsibilities as well as some of the work skills required in the field.
What is commercial painting?
Commercial painting is a painting job that involves applying fresh coats of paint to commercial buildings in large-scale projects that necessitate larger crew sizes and more complex equipment. A commercial painter is typically assigned to the final stages of a construction project in places such as office buildings, hospitals, and shipping centers.
The primary distinction between residential and commercial painting is that commercial painting contractors take on larger painting jobs that frequently necessitate extensive planning and superior painting service.
Types of tasks performed by commercial painters
The following are some types of tasks that most commercial painters undertake.
- Fill cracks and openings: This is one of the most common services offered in commercial projects. It involves filling cracks and openings in a house painting project.
- Cover and protect surfaces: In a commercial painting project, this is among the tasks done by painters.
- Smooth surfaces: This involves adding the paint needed for the interior and exterior of a commercial building to give it a polished look.
- Clean job sites once completed: Once the painting work is complete, the painters work to clean the commercial establishments.
Application tools for commercial painting
- Paint sprayers
- Pressure washers
- Step ladders
What kind of knowledge do commercial painters need?
The knowledge needed to make a commercial project an excellent job is as varied as the tools and techniques you will learn to use.
- Safety Regulations: You will need to know the federal, state, and provincial regulations that govern your trade. Undergoing training will keep you and others safe on commercial painting jobs.
- Business Management: You will also need to learn project management if you dream of moving up to manager, foreman superintendent, or project manager.
- Customer service: You may be dealing with many clients on commercial painting projects, which always helps to be good at customer service.
- Communication Skills: Commercial painting requires you to have both good verbal and written communication skills.
- Engineering and Technology: The more you are knowledgeable about the commercial painting sector, the faster you can progress in your expertise.
The essential skills you need to be an excellent commercial painter are similar to those of a professional salesperson. You will need to be effective at each of the following.
- Listening skills: You should be able to be a good listener to others without interacting and asking the right questions.
- Problem-solving: You will need to be able to think about the different ways to solve work-related problems.
- Basic mathematics skills: A basic knowledge of math, chemistry, and color theory is crucial to the commercial painter who will need to apply that knowledge to use these skills specific to the painting trade.
- Handling materials: Of course, the bulk of a commercial painter’s job is the handling of paint, solvents, tools, and materials—and to be an expert commercial painter, you need to master them.
- Computer skills: Nowadays, using computers is a fact of life in any job – and commercial painting is no exception. Therefore, you must be willing to learn new technology and techniques.
What physical abilities are needed for commercial painting?
Commercial painting is a physically demanding occupation. This may not be the job for you if you have problems with your hand strength or working with hand tools. You must have good physical condition, balance, and endurance. You should also not have any chest pains caused by allergies, paint solvents, or dust.
You’ll need to apply paint accurately and precisely to visual judgments throughout your commercial painting career. This means that good vision is required. Excellent eye coordination is also required in commercial painting—the ability to solve arithmetic problems quickly and accurately is required in order to use your tools and materials.
As you can see, being a commercial painter entails more than just applying a coat of paint. They frequently learn a variety of techniques throughout their careers, many of which are physical and require close attention to detail.
Personal Traits of a Commercial Painter
“What does personality have to do with being a commercial painter?” you may wonder. On job sites, including private residences and other buildings, you must present a professional appearance, maintain personal hygiene, and maintain a proper attitude and behavior. You should also be skilled at dealing with difficult customers in a professional and courteous manner.
You must interpret written and verbal instructions well and recognize the essence of cooperation and interaction with related occupations in a job.
Commercial painting, like any other profession, comes with a team with which you will collaborate. This means that collaboration is essential. It all comes down to being dependable and being able to communicate with others. Having these character traits in this field requires more than just a keen eye and steady hands; it also necessitates the highest level of professionalism and maturity.
What education do you need to be a commercial painter?
A commercial painter, like any other job, requires education. Strong credentials are desirable and recognized throughout the country, implying that they can work for any company in the country.
Commercial painters can pursue additional training and certifications after completing an apprenticeship and continuing their careers. This will almost certainly necessitate more classroom time and on-site training.
Professional commercial and residential painting services.
Consider the Ohio Painting Company if you need the best painting service. We have a team of professional painters who have worked on commercial and residential painting projects for many years. Contact us today for a free estimate on projects that require extensive planning.